Friday, 1 August 2008

Not dead yet.....

Mine


Not mine

No really, we're all still alive I promise. And at a time like this, what could be better than cake, especially this Tarta de Santiago. I came across the recipe while trawling the internet for new things to cook and decided that this would make a delicious treat for the feast of St James. Unfortunately, I was a few days late so it ended up being a St Martha cake instead but it was still delicious despite, as always, not looking quite like the picture. One day, I would very much like to walk to Santiago de Compostela and eat a real one, although I would be likely to be the one who ends up getting eaten in the mountains by wolves, or possibly bears.

Unlike my attempt adorned with blackberries, the real cake is decorated with the cross of St James, of which the lower part resembles a sword blade symbolising taking up the sword for Christ. Apparently, crusaders would carry small crosses like this which could be stuck into the ground for devotions anywhere or at any time and so it became the emblem of the Order of Santiago. Don't worry, I'm not about to preach a crusade, but just delighting in my new cake recipe and thinking how I can (figuratively) take up the sword for Christ.

This has made me wonder what other recipies could be used to mark feasts or seasons as an opportunity for edible catechesis. There are, of course, the obvious ones such as hot cross buns or simnel cake but I shall try and hunt down that which is obscure, tasty and educational. Results will be posted here for admiration or mockery.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see that not only are you not dead but that you are creating baked goods. Laus Deo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I at least am still alive though I'm not sure about the others. Perhaps they ate one of my cakes...

    ReplyDelete