Tuesday, 7 October 2008

Our Lady of the Rosary


On the 7th of October 1571, Pius V was in conference with his Cardinals in Rome when he suddenly rose and went over to the window and said "Enough of business. Let us thank God for the great victory He has just given our fleet". Two weeks later, news arrived in Rome of the victory of the Holy League over the Turks at the Battle of Lepanto. Two years earlier, he had officially approved the use of the rosary and called for public recitation throughout Europe to combat the Turkish threat. For three hours before the battle, the rosary had been said before an image of Our Lady of Guadalupe belonging to Admiral Giovanni Andrea Doria.

Pius V wrote "we desire in particular that the remembrance of the great victory obtained from God through the merits and intercession of the glorious virgin...may never be forgotten" and established the feast of Our Lady of Victory, later called Our Lady of the Rosary.

This reminds me that though I often carry my rosary around with me, and keep one on my bedside table at home, I don't say it as much as I think I do, as much as I think I ought to, or with proper attention when I actually do it. Perhaps public revelation of my faults will inspire me to greater diligence but any advice would be appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. One priest advised keeping a rosary on your bedside table for when you can't get (back) to sleep. It helps your prayers and stops you getting distracted by those thoughts keeping you awake.

    "Holy Mary, Mother of zzzzz...."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Catholic Women,

    Having been a frequent of your blog, I was wondering if perhaps you might due me the honour of featuring a reciprocal link to 'Thursday Thoughts' if it is something to your liking. In case you haven't viewed it, it is not a blog per se, but rather a collection of easily-searchable essays about culture, faith, and Common Sense from a Catholic Anglican editorial perspective (the editor is not an author, lest he be blamed of tooting his own horn).

    I hope the site provides a valuable resource for you and other and I would appreciate any publicity (or essay submissions) you could offer.

    Cheers,
    Thurs.

    http://wasthursday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Done! Better late than never I suppose.

    ReplyDelete