Wednesday, 1 October 2008

Seasonal Recipes


First I'll reassure my fellow members of the guild that I'm not turning this into the Waitrose food magazine.

Monday was, as you of course all know, the feast of St Michael (and Raphael and Gabriel..). Michaelmas has particular foods associated with it and I did once promise to collect recipies appropriate for the liturgical year, try them out, and post the results, so here we are:

Michaelmas Goose

St Michael's Bannock

And now, I must confess that I've failed to try them out. I don't think I could fit a goose in the oven and I certainly don't know where to buy rye meal*. So, we feasted on chicken, and blackberry crumble instead. At least the blackberries were appropriate to the feast. There is a tradition that, after this date, they are cursed by the Devil, as, when St Michael threw him out of heaven, he landed in a blackberry bush. This is probably why you can now get them everywhere as a 2-for-1 offer.

*Anyone who thinks they can do either is welcome to show off in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I wish I'd known about those recipes! I might not have ventured as far as goose either, but I would definitely have tried the bannock. We had a rather unoriginal Angel cake for pudding on Michaelmas which was nice but a little too sickly even for me. Roll on next year! My stock of angel themed food was rather exhasted by yesterday (Guardian Angels, I believe) but I wish that I had thought of Angel Delight! When is the next angelic feast?

    ReplyDelete